Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pastor's Circle - Daniel Simmons

Dr. Daniel Simmons serves as the senior pastor of Mt. Zion Baptist Church. He joined the Pastor's Circle to talk about spiritual gifts. Below are the "CliffsNotes" of his segment.
 
How important are the gifts of the Spirit?
It is very interesting that you would ask that.  The last three sermons I have preached are on that very theme. 
 
God in his sovereign wisdom decides what the church needs and then gifts people to carry out the kingdom work.  
 
There is no aspect of the church or of kingdom mission that is unaffected by gifts of individual members.
How important is this idea of spiritual gifts in the smaller congregation?
The first congregation I pastored was a small church, only 35 members.  But I believe that congregation was just as important to God in the view of entire kingdom ministry.  
 
The gifts in that church are just as significant to work of the entire kingdom.
What is one of the biggest hindrances to finding your spiritual gifts?
We have to believe that these gifts are real.  God has given every believer a spiritual gift, but you need to believe that and accept that gift God has given you.  
 
We have a class at Mt. Zion that helps people understand what the gifts are and then gives them an inventory of the gifts.This helps people to employ their gifts.
What should a pastor do if they don't have these resources? 
Early in my ministry I realized that there were somethings that I did that I had a great passion for. I could work on them all day and not grow weary in them.  I loved doing what God had gifted me to do. 
 
Also, look around at spirit-led people and observe how God is moving in other spiritual people's lives.
What gifts are you seeing as most significant in your church right now?
Straight teaching to some of our young people that have not been raised in a Christian home.  
Another is the gift of worship, we have seen God moving in calling Mt. Zion to authentic worship.
What encourages people to go find out their own spiritual gift?
One thing is creating an atmosphere where if people come forward with their gifts they will be able to use those gifts in the church.  
 
We haven't always discovered the spiritual gifts that we thought we would, but God has surprised me.  
Can we end up celebrating some of these gifts at the expense of others?
Absolutely. Every pastor has his passion; he has his favorite gifts. 
 
One of my favorite gifts is singing, but I need to be careful that I don't overstep my desire to incorporate all the great singers in our church.  
 
That might give the impression that is all that the pastor is looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment