Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pastor's Circle - Dan Boone

Dan Boone, president of Trevecca Nazarene University, joined the Pastor's Circle to talk about his testimony and the moments of grace that run throughout. Here are the "CliffsNotes" of his interview.

Tell us about your testimony.
I grew up in a Christian home that was so profoundly Christlike that my earliest memories are of family altars with three kids on their knees.

I was probably 5 or 6 when I made a public trip to an altar and asked Christ to forgive me of my sins.

I think everyone's journey in God probably has other key moments. I was 12 or 13 once, at a youth camp, and I remember this deep sense of God telling me that he wanted me to do something for him.

Although I didn't know what it was yet, I remember being at the altar committing my life to whatever he wanted for me.

When I was a sophomore in college, like most sophomore kids, I was discovering my freedom from home and starting to start my own path. The Lord really dealt with me about the discipline I was establishing in my life.

And I remember playing tug-of-war with God over that. I remember kneeling beside a bunk bed and settling with God that he would be Lord of my life. Something happened in that moment.

It was the shift of the magnetic needle in my life, from my will to God's will. From that day, the lordship issue was sealed. He saved me, he is saving me today, and he will continue to save me.
Are there more of those moments in your life?
In trying to view life as a relationship with God, I often use the picture of trying to get from Nashville to the West Coast.

There are many roads that will get you there, but they all have to go west. And God is standing at the fork of all of those roads, pointing you to where you need to go.

Sometimes I think we do the gospel disservice when we define theology as the front edge of the gospel. The front edge of the gospel has always been testimony.

We are to be out there telling this story. We are to tell what God did in our own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment